- Eitzen, D. Stanley.
- Zinn, Maxine Baca, 1942-
- Smith, Kelly Eitzen.
- Social problems
- Social problems -- United States
- Social structure -- United States
- United States -- Social conditions -- 1945-
people who borrowed this, also borrowed:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 601-638) and index.
- Brief Table of Contents: * For Comprehensive, see below. Part One: Political Economy of Social Problems Chapter 1 Sociological Approach to Social Problems Chapter 2 Wealth and Power: the Bias of the System Part Two: Problems of People, the Environment, and Location Chapter 3 World Population and Global Inequality Chapter 4 Threats to the Environment Chapter 5 Demographic Changes in the United States: the Browning and Graying of Society Chapter 6 Problems of Place: Urban, Suburban, and Rural Part Three: Problems of Inequality Chapter 7 Poverty Chapter 8 Racial and Ethnic Inequality Chapter 9 Gender Inequality Chapter 10 Sexual Orientation Chapter 11 Disability and Ableism Part Four: Social Structure and Individual Deviance Chapter 12 Crime and Justice Chapter 13 Drugs Part Five: Institutional Problems Chapter 14 Work Chapter 15 Families Chapter 16 Education Chapter 17 Health and Health Care Delivery Chapter 18 National Security in the Twenty-First Century Part Six: Solutions Chapter 19 Progressive Plan to solve Society's Social Problems Full Table of Contents: Part One Political Economy of Social Problems Chapter 1 Sociological Approach to Social Problems History of Social Problems Theory Toward a Definition of Social Problems Types of Social Problems Norm Violations Social Conditions The Sociological Imagination Social Structure as the Basic Unit of Analysis Person-Blame Approach versus System-Blame Approach Reasons for Focusing on the System-Blame Approach Organization of the Book Chapter Review Key Terms Websites for Further Reference Chapter 2 Wealth and Power: The Bias of the System Capitalism and Socialism Capitalism Socialism U.S. Economy: Concentration of Corporate Wealth Monopolistic Capitalism Transnational Corporations Concentration of Wealth Political System: Links between Wealth and Power Government by Interest Groups Financing of Political Campaigns Candidate Selection Process Bias of the Political System Consequences of Concentrated Power Subsidies to Big Business Trickle-Down Solutions The Powerless Bear the Burden Foreign Policy for Corporate Benefit Reprise: The Best Democracy Money Can Buy Chapter Review Key Terms Websites for Further Reference PART TWO Problems of People, the Environment, and Location Chapter 3 World Population and Global Inequality World Population Growth Demographic Transition Family Planning Societal Changes Poverty Food and Hunger Sickness and Disease The New Slavery Concentration of Misery in Cities U.S. Relations with the Developing World Transnational Corporations United States in the Global Village Chapter Review Key Terms Websites for Further Reference Chapter 4 Threats to the Environment Worldwide Environmental Problems Degradation of the Land Environmental Pollution and Degradation Global Environmental Crises Fossil Fuel Dependence, Waste, and Environmental Degradation Destruction of the Tropical Rain Forests and Other Forms of Deforestation Global Warming Sources of U.S. Environmental Problems Cultural Sources Structural Sources Solutions to the Environmental Crises Pro-Business Voluntaristic Approach Egalitarian/Authoritarian Plan Control of Resource Use International Implications of Environmental Problems Chapter Review Key Terms Websites for Further Reference Chapter 5 Demographic Changes in the United States: The Browning and Graying of Society Profile of the U.S. Population New Immigration and the Changing Racial Landscape Immigration and Increasing Diversity Consequences of the New Immigration Immigration and Agency Effects of Immigration on Immigrants: Ethnic Identity or Assimilation? The Aging Society Demographic Trend Demographic Portrait of the Current Elderly Population Problems of an Aging Society Social Security Paying for Health Care Elderly Abuse Responses by the Elderly: Human Agency Chapter Review Key Terms Websites for Further Reference Chapt
University of Huddersfield Library Catalogue