- Ruiz, Vicki L. 1955-
- DuBois, Ellen Carol
- Women -- United States -- History
- Sex role -- United States -- History
- Minority women -- United States -- History.
- African American women -- History.
- 0415925169 (cased) :
- 9780415925167 (cased) :
- 0415925177 (pbk.) :
- 9780415925174 (pbk.)
people who borrowed this, also borrowed:
- Previous ed.: 1994.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- "Acknowledgments" "Introduction" 1. Nancy A. Hewitt--Beyond the Search for Sisterhood: American Women's History in the 1980s and 1990s 2. James F. Brooks--"This Evil Extends Especially to the Feminine Sex": Captivity and Identity in New Mexico, 1700-1846 3. Brenda Stevenson--Distress and Discord in Virginia Slave Families, 1830-1860 4. Antonia I. Castaneda--Gender, Race, and Culture: Spanish-Mexican Women in the Historiography of Frontier California 5. Jeanne Boydston--To Earn Her Daily Bread: Housework and Antebellum Working-Class Subsistence 6. Theda Perdue--Cherokee Women and The Trail of Tears 7. Susan Lee Johnson--"Domestic" Life in the Diggings: The Southern Mines in the California Gold Rush 8. Elsa Barkley Brown--To Catch the Vision of Freedom: Reconstructing Southern Black Women's Political History, 1865-1880 9. Mary H. Blewett--Deference and Defiance: Labor Politics and the Meanings of Masculinity in the Mid-Nineteenth-Century New England Textile Industry 10. Peggy Pascoe--Miscegenation Law, Court Cases, and Ideologies of Race in Twentieth-Century America 11. Devon A. Mihesuah--Too Dark to be Angels: The Class System Among the Cherokees at the Female Academy 12. Kumari Jayawardena--Going for the Jugular of Hindu Patriarchy: American Women Fundraisers for Ramabai 13. Alice Yang Murray--Ilse Women and the Early Korean American Community: Redefining the Origins of Feminist Empowerment 14. Linda Gordon--Black and White Visions of Welfare: Woman's Welfare Activism, 1890-1945 15. Melanie Gustafson--Partisan Women in the Progressive Era: The Struggle for Inclusion in American Political Parties 16. Judy Yung--Unbound Feet: Chinese Women in the Public Sphere 17. Yamila Azize-Vargas--The Roots of Puerto Rican Feminism: The Struggle for Universal Suffrage 18. Ellen Carol DuBois--Woman Suffrage Around the World: Three Phases of Suffragist Internationalism 19. Evelyn Brooks Higginbotham--In Politics to Stay: Black Women Leaders and Party Politics in the 1920s 20. Joanne Meyerowitz--Sexual Geography and Gender Economy: The Furnished-Room Districts of Chicago, 1890-1930 21. Kathy Peiss--Making Faces: The Cosmetics Industry and the Cultural Construction of Gender, 1890-1930 22. Vicki L. Ruiz--"Star Struck": Acculturation, Adolescence, and Mexican American Women 1920-1950 23. Barbara Posadas--Crossed Boundaries in Interracial Chicago: Pilipino American Families Since 1925 24. Annelise Orleck--"We Are That Mythical Thing Called the Public": Militant Housewives During the Great Depression 25. Devra Anne Weber--Raiz Fuerte: Oral History and Mexicana Farmworkers 26. Yolanda Chavez Leyva--Breaking the Silence: Putting Latina Lesbian History at the Center 27. Elizabeth Lapovosky Kennedy--"But we would never talk about it": The Structures of Lesbian Discretion in South Dakota, 1928-1933 28. Jacquelyn Dowd Hall--Open Secrets: Memory, Imagination, and the Refashioning of Southern Identity 29. Evelyn Nakano Glenn--From Servitude to Service Work: Historical Continuities in the Racial Division of Paid Reproductive Labor 30. Sherrie Tucker--Telling Performances: Jazz History Remembered and Remade by the Women in the Band 31. Valerie Matsumoto--Japanese American Women During World War II 32. Joyce Antler--Between Culture and Politics: The Emma Lazarus Federation of Jewish Women's Clubs and the Promulgation of Women's History, 1944-1989 33. Daniel Horowitz--Rethinking Betty Friedan and The Feminine Mystique: Labor Union Radicalism and Feminism in Cold War America 34. Cynthia Griggs Fleming--"More Than a Lady": Ruby Doris Smith Robinson and Black Women's Leadership in the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee 35. Gail Paradise Kelly--To Become an American Woman: Education and Sex Role Socialization of the Vietnamese Immigrant Woman 36. Rebecca Tsosie--Changing Women: The Crosscurrents of American Indian Feminine Identity 37. Ramon Gutierrez--Community, Patriarchy, and Individualism: The Politics of Chicano History and the Dream of Equal
University of Huddersfield Library Catalogue