- Gleason, Abbott.
- Goldsmith, Jack.
- Nussbaum, Martha Craven, 1947-
- Orwell, George, 1903-1950. Nineteen eighty-four.
- Science fiction, English -- History and criticism
- Dystopias in literature.
- Princeton University Press,
- 0691113610 (pbk.)
- 0691113602 (hbk)
people who borrowed this, also borrowed:
- Based on papers from a conference at the University of Chicago Law School, 1999.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Dedicatory Foreword by Barbara S. Kirschner, M.D. ix Acknowledgments xiii Introduction by Abbott Gleason and Martha C. Nussbaum 1 PART I: POLITICS AND THE LITERARY IMAGINATION 11 A Defense of Poesy (The Treatise of Julia) by Elaine Scarry 13 Doublespeak and the Minority of One by Homi K. Bhabha 29 Of Beasts and Men: Orwell on Beastliness by Margaret Drabble 38 Does Literature Work as Social Science? by The Case of George Orwell by Richard A. Epstein 49 PART II: TRUTH, OBJECTIVITY, AND PROPAGANDA 71 Puritanism and Power Politics during the Cold War: George Orwell and Historical Objectivity by Abbott Gleason 73 Rorty and Orwell on Truth by James Conant 86 From Ingsoc and Newspeak to Amcap, Amerigood, and Marketspeak by Edward S. Herman 112 PART III: POLITICAL COERCION 125 Mind Control in Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four: Fictional Concepts Become Operational Realities in Jim Jones's Jungle Experiment by Philip G. Zimbardo 127 Whom Do You Trust? What Do You Count On? by Darius Rejali 155 PART IV: TECHNOLOGY AND PRIVACY 181 Orwell versus Huxley: Economics, Technology, Privacy, and Satire by Richard A. Posner 183 On the Internet and the Benign Invasions of Nineteen Eighty-Four by Lawrence Lessig 212 The Self-Preventing Prophecy; or, How a Dose of Nightmare Can Help Tame Tomorrow's Perils by David Brin 222 PART V: SEX AND POLITICS 231 Sexual Freedom and Political Freedom by Cass R. Sunstein 233 Sex, Law, Power, and Community by Robin West 242 Nineteen Eighty-Four, Catholicism, and the Meaning of Human Sexuality by John Haldane 261 CONCLUSION 277 The Death of Pity: Orwell and American Political Life by Martha C. Nussbaum 279 Contributors 301 Index 305.
University of Huddersfield Library Catalogue