- MacCaffrey, Wallace T. 1920-
- Elizabeth I, Queen of England, 1533-1603.
- Great Britain -- History -- Elizabeth, 1558-1603.
- Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Biography.
- 0340614552 (pbk.) :
- 9780340614556 (pbk.)
people who borrowed this, also borrowed:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Part 1 The Lady Elizabeth: Princess Elizabeth; the second person. Part 2 The apprentice Queen: making a government; the legacies of the past; the religious settlement; the pacification of Scotland; the rise of Dudley; marriage and succession. Part 3 Elizabeth and Mary: the coming of Mary Stuart; the Norfolk marriage; the Northern rebellion; the Ridolfi plot. Part 4 The struggle for peace: England and her continental neighbours; the crises of 1572 and their aftermath; England and the States General 1576-79; the Anjou match; the coming of war. Part 5 The waging of war: Armada and counter-Armada; the alliance with Henry IV; the alliance with the States General; the assault on Spain; edging towards peace. Part 6 The practice of statecraft: the 1559 settlement; the rise of the reformers; the Puritans in Parliament; Grindal and Whitgift; the Queen and her Catholic subjects; conspiracy and repression; the end of Mary Stuart; the Queen and her constituencies; an economical queen. Part 7 The end of a reign: the Earl of Essex; the Queen and Ireland; the Queen and her successor.
University of Huddersfield Library Catalogue